According to folklore, traditionally, a wedding cake is made up of three tiers. The bottom tier, the largest, is meant to be served at the wedding for guests to eat at the reception or wedding breakfast. The middle tier would be cut, wrapped in parchment and sent out to friends and family unable to attend the wedding feast. Finally, the top tier was preserved and saved for the christening day of the first child of the union.
With our current “new normal”, intimate weddings with fewer guests will be de rigueur in the immediate future. This then leaves us with a problem of the three tier cake being surplus to requirements. Fear not, for at Elizabeth’s Cake Emporium we have the solution for you!
If you’re looking for beautifully crafted luxury wedding cakes that make as much impact as multi tiered confections for your intimate wedding, you may want to consider serving several smaller, one-tier luxury wedding cakes. This has the advantage of providing your guests with the option of a variety of flavours and a pretty cake table better suited to your needs.
Our cakes have often been described as edible works of art as each one is bespoke and custom made to the needs and requirements of our clients. A lot more thought and time has to be put into crafting one tier cakes in order to make an impact but thankfully this can be achieved with the following tips:
– Ask your cake maker to make your one tier luxury wedding cake extra deep. This will create some extra height and drama (think of all those layers when the cake is cut), and the bonus is, you will also get more cake!
– Cake stands make a luxury wedding cake look more elegant. If you opt for multiple wedding cakes, cake stands with differing heights create a very cool and contemporary look. Alternatively, you may choose to display your cakes on beautiful cake stands of the same style, shape and colour for a unified look.
– Texture can be an amazing way to create impact with a one tier luxury wedding cake. Sugar frills, gold leaf, crackled sugarpaste/fondant and bas relief are some of the ways to add detail and interest.
– Explore the possibility of having an unusual shaped one tiered luxury wedding cake. Geometric shapes like hexagons, octagons and even heptagons work very well for a contemporary wedding.
– You may also want to consider having your cake decorated with the same monogram from your wedding stationery and handcrafted sugarflowers that match those from your wedding for a pulled together and finished look.
As the lockdown begins to ease and we look forward to celebrating weddings again, creating a beautiful one tier luxury wedding cake for your intimate wedding will be our pleasure.
Email us at email@example.com or call us on 07958069116 for a chat about how we can create something special for you.